Carbon Monoxide – The Silent Killer

How Safe is Your Family?

Carbon Monoxide  The consequences of a carbon monoxide or gas leak at home can be disastrous. Every year there are deaths and injuries in houses all over the World that could have been avoided with the installation of easy to use and cost effective gas detection equipment.

What is CO?

Carbon monoxide (CO), commonly termed “The Silent Killer” is a highly poisonous gas produced by any fossil fuel burning appliance (eg, gas, coal, diesel, oil, wood…etc) and has no smell, taste or colour.

Where does it come from?    It can leak from flues and cooking & heating appliances when they have been poorly maintained or simply break down.

Inadequate ventilation or blocked flues are frequently to blame but even adverse weather conditions have been the reason behind leaks that proved fatal. Leaks can be caused by many potential sources and are not always directly related to an appliance malfunction.

Modern housing insulation techniques, such as double-glazed windows, can exaggerate a problem by effectively creating an airtight environment.

What does it do?

When we breathe in air, vital oxygen is absorbed by the blood and transported around our body. Blood contains a special substance called “haemoglobin” which is used to carry the oxygen.

Unfortunately, haemoglobin will carry carbon monoxide in preference to oxygen. When we breathe in air containing carbon monoxide, the carbon monoxide replaces the oxygen and in effect, we suffocate from the inside.

It can kill quickly when it leaks in large quantities or can build up over a period of time, initially causing symptoms such as headaches, nausea and dizziness.

These are often incorrectly diagnosed by the medical profession, as flu. Ultimately, if the brain does not get sufficient oxygen, carbon monoxide will cause death.

If you would like any appliance checked? Call us on the number below, or click on the contact link, we will then arrange  to have one of our plumbers  visit to carry out the necessary tests.

Safety Detectors

We supply, and install a range of CO, and Gas detectors. These units are inexpensive and may save your life.

Even if appliances are correctly installed and serviced regularly problems can occur (faults occurring in between service dates, adverse weather, etc). Where the safety of your family is concerned, it always makes sense to use gas detection devices to give you added piece of mind.

Dangerous gases can also seep into properties through shared flues and chimneys and people can be at risk from gases produced in neighbouring properties. Integral garages may also be a risk if an appliance is running without adequate ventilation.

If you would like to have installed a Safety Detector Device, call us on the number below, or click on the contact link. We will then arrange to visit to carry out the necessary works.

Gas Safety Checks and Certificate    Landlords are legally responsible for making sure that their gas appliances, gas piping and flues in their properties are well maintained and safe. A Gas Safety Check should be carried out every 12 months by a gas engineer, who is registered with Gas Safe. It is up to the landlord to arrange and pay for these checks.

The gas engineer will provide a record of each gas safety check. The landlord must keep these records for at least two years, and they should make sure you have a copy, as the Landlord. The report must include the following information:

the date of the inspection
the address of the property
the name and address of the landlord or their agent
a description of each appliance or flue checked, including where it is
anything which the installer finds wrong with the appliance or flue
anything they have done to put any problems right
The report must be signed by the person who carried out the check to confirm that it has been done properly. They must include their name, and their official registration number. This report is often known as the Gas Safety Certificate.

If you would like any appliance checked? Call us on the number below, or click on the contact link, we will then arrange to have one of our engineers visit to carry out the necessary tests.


Call us on 020 886 6591



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *